Monday, April 11, 2011

Our Russian Friend

A couple years ago, we met a really nice guy from Russia while I was recuperating from surgery in Isla Aguada, Mexico. He was backpacking through Mexico and pitched his tent on the beach in front of our motor home. On the first morning he was there, I watched him break down his tent and pack everything in his backpack. I was amazed at how much he was able to meticulously fit into that backback. After he had finished, I ask him if he would like a cup of coffee. He accepted my offer and joined me on our patio. We had an enjoyable visit over coffee. He told me that he travels all over the world hitch hiking and hiking with his backpack. He works in Moscow for six months, then travels for six months. He has been doing this for a number of years.


Nick in our motor home

After several days, we invited Nicolay (Nick) to stay in our motor home, and he ended up traveling with us through Mexico for the next two months. He was a godsend to me, helping me with some of the more physical aspects of our travels. Needless to say, we became close friends. Dodie cried when we had to leave him in Mexico as we crossed the border for our return trip home. We tried to get him a visa to come with us, but were not successful. The only way he can get a visa to enter the U.S. is by applying while he is still in Russia.

Nick has visited us here in Florida several times since we were with him in Mexico. He has been traveling in Panama for the last couple months. He visited us here in Lakeland, then I took him to the Orlando airport for his flight. He called me today. He has arrived in Tampa, bought a bicycle, and is riding it to our home tonight. We are looking forward to visiting with Nick for a few days before he returns to Moscow. I'll follow up on his visit tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment